Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Trip of a Lifetime

Sitting on the floor of the Prague Airport waiting to check in to my flight, I realize my trip is coming to a close.  In less than 17 hours I will be back in the United States; in less than 24 hours I will be back in Charlotte, NC.

Eight Weeks.  Ten Countries: Andorra, Bosnia, Croatia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Serbia, Spain, Turkey.  Countless cities and adventures.  Family.  Best friends and new friends.  It started out as a return to family heritage and ended as a paddling extravaganza.  When my dad planned this trip over a year ago, he referred to it as “The Trip of a Lifetime.”  He was more right than he will ever know! 
I have never been on a trip quite like this and I don’t know that I ever will again.

The thought of going home is comically surreal after two months.  Not that I wont get home, see my bed, and thank goodness that I finally made it right before collapsing for a long nap, but rather that it feels like just another temporary stop on this crazy trip.  Forgive me in advance for philosophizing, but I believe life, like this trip, is a series of momentary stops.  Staying in one place too long is not good.  And getting lost is a distinct possibility.

Thank you Dad for the Trip of a Lifetime!


No comments:

Post a Comment