Monday, April 4, 2011

It's A Beautiful Morning

It is sunny, breezy, and 85 degrees here in Charlotte, NC.  I can't say that I could ask for more of a perfect day to paddle, except that it is my day off and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Once again, I have been remiss in keeping up with everything that has been going on.  I came back to the east coast mid-February just in time for the NOC Glacier Breaker, the US spring season opener.  Since then has been a blur of training and racing.  So far this spring I have raced at the NOC Glacier Breaker, Charlotte Spring Opener, and US Open.  I will go so far as to say that I raced each day.  I am not overly pleased with my lack of performance, but it is a process that I am learning to embrace, although I am constantly chomping at the bit to jump ahead of myself and be faster (who could ever imagine a competitive athlete wanting that?).

Most recently I hurt my left shoulder.  I'm not sure how.  I raced last weekend at the US Open, came home and woke up on Monday (my day off) with a very sore shoulder.  I let it rest the entire week, which translated to a very high strung, antsy athlete that was sick of the treadmill.  Saturday and Sunday were my first days back on the water.  It felt great.  I could not stop smiling or demanding perfection of myself, per usual.

The US National Team Selection Race is quickly approaching (a week and a half away).  It is interesting mentally to start to realize that the day that you have trained for all spring is actually here.  For me it started when the other girls began to appear on the water a little earlier this spring.  Now it is that they are here to stay until everything is decided.  I cannot say I am not nervous.  In fact I am petrified.  I am so much better in my kayak this year.  Although I have backed off on the speed, I have been much better at executing.  The canoe, however, is a totally different animal.  I am still exploring the course and my own limits.  Being so new to a canoe (as in a few months new!) I am also still learning different pieces of different skills.  The doubt in my mind is whether or not I can put it all together when it counts.  Here's to a hail mary and a great big smile!
These Smiles will do! Buddy, Littlest Lucy, and Me - 2011 US Open

No comments:

Post a Comment